Dispatches from the O2 Deprived

random stories from my head

My Photo
Name:

Oxygen Deprived, Strange Bedridden Person with Nothing to do

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Have a cup?


Lynette with a cup


I love coffee. The Batangas Barako kind...very hot, with no milk, and lots of sugar. The kind that the nuns would serve at breakfast when I would go on my class' yearly high school retreat .

It's amazing I like it considering my first experience with legally obtained coffee was when I was eight and Mama casually asked me if I wanted a cup.

I was so surprised!

In my head I was screaming ...Coffee!!! ... You're offering me Coffee?! ...The stunt your growth poison taboo to children? Yeah baby!!!

Outwardly I quietly replied "Yes please."

All the while trying to remain unobstrusive and not to make sudden movements that would remind her I was eight and really, not allowed to drink coffee.

I watched her take a cup, put a fourth of a teaspoon of instant coffee and mix in a little hot water then add half a can of evaporated milk.

She handed me the cup,and gave me a cracker to eat with it, and went into her room.

I took my first sip and....

... bleagh, eeew, it was horrible!!!

Lukewarm and yuck!!!

And knowing my grandmother as I do, waste of any kind was never allowed.

I had, had,
had to finish that cup or I was in deep trouble. ( I was too scared of her to even think of pouring it into the sink)

I kept drinking and drinking, and the cup kept getting larger and larger. I tried that pinch your nose technique but it didn't work.

I felt like I was literally drowning in coffee flavored evaporated milk...

...not a nice way to go.

After it seemed like hours and hours, I finally finished the thing. Mama came out and I showed her my now empty swimming pool-sized cup.

I was so happy my ordeal was over.

I gave her a kiss and the caffeine must have kicked in because I ran out of there so fast I seemed like a blur to her for days.

I wasn't trying to hide from her...honest.

;)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, I learned to drink coffee (my first) from Juliet. She gave me an ultra sweet coffee with lots of milk. So I blame HER for my stunted growth. Ahhh... there went my dreams for the NBA... :-(

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lynette reyes said...

Starbucks is truly a gift from God, i love their white chocolate mocha---non-fat milk, no whipped cream, and extra-extra hot! oh, oh, oh, and don't forget their carrot cake (heated)and chicken salad with honey mustard dressing. Yumyum! Really, the soft sounds, round tables, cool airconditioning, comfortable atmosphere...is sooooo conducive to studying and has helped me get through my four years in law school :) imagine a library cafe open 'till the wee hours of the morning, located in every little corner within the whole Metro Manila, where you can stay for hours and hours for the price of at least one cup of coffee :) Now, as I try to remember all the fond memories of hours I spent studying there...I can truly say....I'm so sick of Starbucks and I'm so glad I now have my own coffeemaker! :)

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
Web Counters
Comcast Internet Access Service